Social Protection Specialist
IMPORTANT NOTICE\: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality
People with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
The main Aim of FAO Country Offices, which are headed by FAO Representative, is to assist governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to help develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors, and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner. FAO Somalia’s work addresses social protection with a focus on risk-informed and shock-responsive social protection systems applicable in fragile, humanitarian and protracted crisis contexts
Under the overall supervision of the FAOR for Somalia and the direct supervision of the Emergency Coordinator, the Social Protection consultant will support implementation of FAO Somalia agenda on social protection. The specialist will provide technical guidance including support to policy, programmatic, operational and analytical work on the role of social protection for resilience strengthening with a focus on FAO Somalia’s support to risk-informed and shock- responsive social protection systems.
- Undertake research and analysis on social protection needs in Somalia (agriculture, livestock, economic, market, social, environmental, natural resources, food security, nutrition and gender related data) with the aim of gaining an understanding of the poverty and vulnerability situations particularly linked to the FSN and the agricultural sector and use this to support the development of the social protection strategy;
- Undertake stocktaking of FAO current practices in terms of cash based interventions (CBIs), identify and recommend pathways for i) linking these with the current efforts of the Federal Government to establish a national social protection system and ii) progressively move towards longer term interventions within FAO Somalia programme.
- Represent FAO in national and sub-national discussion around the Somalia Social Protection Policy framework development, and revamp partnership with government and key partners in the Social protection.
- Identify current emergency tools to develop social protection instruments and systems in the protracted complex emergency conditions in Somalia.
- Develop/design a social protection strategy and action plan to support programming of FAO Somalia.
- Promote mainstreaming of social protection issues in emergency programmes through effective coordination/collaboration with other sectors and building synergies within FAO Somalia programmes.
- Undertake capacity building of staff to strengthen their technical capacity on social protection, in order to effectively handle social protection programing, and provide technical backstopping to field projects;
- Contribute to programmes by producing a variety of social protection documents including technical reports, policy document, and input for technical documents, best practice documents, statistical and/or analytical tools, methodologies, systems and databases for social protection.
- Participate in resource mobilization activities through contributing to development of concept papers.
- Strengthen partnership with other stakeholders (local government, state authorities and partners) through participation in the organized technical working groups/committee meetings/workshops for information dissemination that address the country policy processes of social protection.
- Undertake other tasks necessary in relation to the implementation of social protection in FAO Somalia.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING Minimum Requirements
· Advanced University degree in political science, economics, institutional development, social anthropology , rural development or other relevant social sciences;
· Five years of relevant experience in social protection systems development, quantitative and qualitative socio-economic analysis, policy formulation, capacity building, methodological development and operational (country level experience) in risk management, social protection (including in fragile and humanitarian settings) in relation to any of the following areas\: rural employment, agricultural production, natural resource management, food security and nutrition, poverty reduction, social protection;
· Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese or Russian.
· Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
· Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions and more specifically in the horn of Africa is desirable;
· Demonstrated experience and knowledge in setting up and undertaking empirical socio-economic research on social protection and its linkages with rural development, agricultural production, and food security and nutrition;
· Knowledge and experience in socio-economic development, social protection analysis at macro-meso and micro level, particularly in rural areas, fragile and humanitarian contexts, and in connection with agriculture, food security and nutrition and rural development (including in fragile and humanitarian settings);
· Depth of familiarity with relevant social protection issues (including in fragile and humanitarian settings). and approaches and capacity to grasp, analyze and synthesize their relevance to current rural development issues and trends related to food and agriculture;
· Extent of experience in the analysis and formulation of social protection policies for sustainability improvement in the rural sector;
· Demonstrated ability to analyze complex social protection systems and their coherence with other development policies and programmes, particularly agricultural, rural and food security and nutrition.
_______________________________________________________________________________________Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency