CTG stands for Committed To Good. With an ethical approach at the heart of all that we do, it is a description that makes us proud. Respect for the fundamental human rights of our staff, and those our staff encounter, is a cornerstone of our values. We strive for gender equality, inclusion and diversity, providing fair and equal opportunities for all. We take a zero tolerance approach to corruption and stay true to local labour laws and all local statutory requirements.
In operation since 2006, today we are honoured to serve clients in 15 fragile and conflict-affected states assisting with disaster relief, peace building, humanitarian aid and development programmes through our specialised recruitment, HR management and operational services.Overview of position
Somalia Urban Resilience Project II (SURP II) is a municipal governance and infrastructure development project financed by the World Bank and its partners, aimed at improving access to urban infrastructure and strengthening municipal governance in Somalia.
The Government of Somalia, through the Benadir Regional Administration (Mogadishu) representing all four Municipalities of Mogadishu, Kismayo, Garowe and Baidoa has selected our client to provide the consulting services for the urban transport infrastructure works to be executed by the Project Implementation Unit (PIU) of the respective Municipalities under the Project. The works involve construction of urban roads to bitumen standards, construction of associated drainage works and installation of streetlights, by the contractors engaged by the respective PIU.
The scope of our client engagement is to provide technical assistance to the PIUs in the works implementation and Contracts managements in the areas of design review, technical supervision, performance monitoring, quality control etc., as well as contributing to PIUs capacity buildings.
The Resident Engineer will be assigned to oversee works one of the four cities and will be responsible for:
- Supervision and management of works at the assigned City and reporting to our client Team leader on the performance;
- Liaise with the Project Implementation Unit at the assigned City providing advice on day to day technical, contract administration and operational matters;
- Supervise our client’s team working directly under her/him and overall management of resources assigned to the supervision team;
- Ensuring skills transfer and on-the-job training opportunities for the counterpart staff provided by the government;
- Day to day monitoring and verification of quality of works carried out by the Contractor(s);
- Verification and measurement of quantity of works performed by the Contractor(s);
- Maintaining quality control records and preparation of reports as prescribed in the Consultant’s ToR;
- Monitoring of Contractors’ adherence to contract safeguard instruments;
- Monitoring Contractors’ contractual performance, compliance to his program of works and analysis of
Contractor’s claims if any;
- Ensuring that Health, Safety, Security and Environment (HSSE) requirements and procedures are
followed on site;
- Perform other duties related to the assignment requested by our client’s Team Leader
The successful candidate will report to our client’s Team Leader
Key competenciesFluency in written and spoken English is requiredTeam management
The Resident Engineer will be required to oversee a team of an Asst. Resident Engineer, Surveyor, Road Inspectors, Materials Technician and support staff
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil engineering (or similar discipline) is required.
- Registration with a recognized professional institution is required.
Minimum of 8 years of road design and construction supervision experience including experience in a Resident Engineer (or similar) position in at least one comparable urban road construction project.
Experience or familiarity of road design standards applicable to Somalia / East Africa is desirable
Somalia / East Africa is desirable.